The other day, I was on eBay looking for a bridesmaid gown for my friend’s wedding when I came across a product description so bizarre that left me laughing for two whole minutes! It went something like this “Diagonal Panel Short Sleeves Sweetheart Neck Side Seam Zipper Summer Casual Black Pink Red Knee Length Lace Party Long Skirt Dress”, the person who wrote this put in all the keywords given to him in a sentence without even a single break! Phew!
As a product description writer, this is a nightmare come true! The description was not only confusing but also put the product in a bad light as something that had not been put any effort into. A good product description is when a product is put across to the audience with a good selling factor and a well-taken photograph.
Below are a few guidelines that should be followed to that perfect Product Description you always wanted:
- Market Research: The first step you need to take while writing a product description is researching what your competitors are doing. Find out what makes their audience click to buy their products because their target audience will ultimately become your target audience too. By analyzing the market, you can build a basic idea of what your product description should include and what it shouldn’t.
- Define Target Audience: You have a base market idea, you need to define your audience, which means understanding what section of the society will your product cater too. These audiences can be segregated based on gender, age, professions, country, etc.
- Define Your Tone of Voice: The main factor that will determine the make or break of your product and its sales is the tone of the product description. If you write a product description like, “baby care soap- for age 1 to 3” and your competitor writes, “Handmade Baby Soap- For Skin like an Angel” you sure have a product, but a one which will sell less than your contender! Be aware of your target audience and make an appropriate choice between formal, informal and a mixture of both tones of writing.
- Make Your Description Scannable: Product description that looks like an essay has zero retention power. An average person spends less than three seconds on a product page. If your description is crisp and efficient; it will hold the attention of the customer and in turn converts to the sale of your product. Bullet points that sum up your product are a definite eye-catcher.
- Optimize Content with SEO: Ensure that your SEO game is on point because any good content writer knows that a good product description makes use of keywords that will help boost their goods. You may have seen many product descriptions using words like announcing, introducing, amazing, sensational, revolutionary, miracle, magic, quick, hurry, and more. These keywords can help captivate your reader and persuade them into action.
- Avoid Grammatical and Spelling Mistakes: Last but not least, Do Not make spelling or grammatical mistakes in your product descriptions, they are the face of your products! Make sure to use tools that spell check and also proofread once the description is uploaded on the site for any last-minute changes because after all, nothing can be more embarrassing than a description that reads “Little pregnant dresses” instead of “Little girl pageant dresses”!
Key Takeaway: A good product description reflects in your overall sales of that product. Hence care should be taken that the description is not only enticing but also is the absolute truth because a lie is worse than a badly written description. With Trupp Global’s eCommerce catalog management, you work with a team of professionals who make sure that your product is seen in a new light and the same is highlighted in the description. To find out more about our services, contact us today.